Friday, July 3, 2020

Learning with Tatter Blue


During the tail end of lockdown, when everyone was fed up with staying at home and quarantining, Tatter Blue Library in Brooklyn came to the rescue with a series of three virtual workshops.  I signed up for all three and I’ve never felt more inspired in such a short period of time. 

Here’s just a little bit about each one, with photos of my own inspired work:

Modernist Smocking with Annie Coggan

I've wished to learn to smock for a long time.  Attempts to teach myself were futile.  With Annie's excellent demos, I finally learned how to English Smock.  Yay Annie!  Yay me!  Annie lives and works in Brooklyn, NY and is an artist as well as a historian.  www.anniecoggan.com.

Smocking on Blue, Marsha Borden

Geometric Hand-Stitching with Aaron Sanders Head

I'm not normally drawn to patterns and designs with geometric shapes.  That changed after taking Aaron Sanders Head's stitching class.  Aaron hails from Alabama, where he keeps an extensive dye garden he uses in his work.  www.aaronsandershead.com.  

Geometric Stitching, My Daughter's Work

Mending:  Damage and Repair with Celia Pym

Spending virtual time with Celia Pym is the stuff of dreams.  Celia, who lives and works in London, is a textile artist who lectured on her work with darning and visible mending.  In her approach, she treats each garment she mends with care, reflecting on the body that wore the clothes and themes of repair and connection. www.celiapym.com.

Sweater Mend, Marsha Borden

I've yet to visit Tatter Blue in person and that may have to wait a while longer.  But to have access to world class workshops and lectures has been such an amazing experience.  Thank you, Tatter Blue!

No comments: