Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Keeping Perspective

As I peruse social media this time of year, I'm pleasantly surprised at the people, groups, and organizations who actively seek to squash the imprint of busyness and consumerism that tires body and soul.  Just this morning, I read two things that made my heart happy.

Thing One - Each year, the filmmaker Delaney Ruston (creator of Screenagers:  Growing Up in The Digital Age) publishes a list of holiday gift-giving ideas that focus not on things but on experiences.  As she describes, often the perfect gift is not found in a store but in each other - togetherness, connectivity, time spent cherishing friends and family.  You can find Delaney's guide here: 2019 Tech-Free Gift Guide.

Thing TwoFruition Seeds is a seed company in my hometown of Naples, New York.  My mom sent me their recent email posting, and I was especially gratified to discover this poem in the midst.  It makes so much sense to me, especially at this time of year. 


Red Brocade

Naomi Shihab Nye

The Arabs used to say,
When a stranger appears at your door,
feed him for three days
before asking who he is,
where he’s come from,
where he’s headed.
That way, he’ll have strength
enough to answer.
Or, by then you’ll be
such good friends
you don’t care. 

Let’s go back to that.
Rice? Pine nuts?
Here, take the red brocade pillow.
My child will serve water
to your horse.

No, I was not busy when you came!
I was not preparing to be busy.
That’s the armor everyone put on
to pretend they had a purpose
in the world. 

I refuse to be claimed.
Your plate is waiting.
We will snip fresh mint
into your tea.

I'm trying to slow down just a little bit, enjoy what's right in front of me, and maintain calmness at this most hectic time of year.  Won't you do the same?

Peace,
Marsha

P.S. I took the photo this morning, of an iced Japanese Maple branch in front of our house.  

No comments: