Thursday, April 2, 2020

I'm Working Some Sustainable Magic Over Here!

While I admit I'm an avowed homebody, after two weeks of self-quarantine, I'm feeling a little restless.

Lucky for me I have needles, thread, and fabric at home.  I find sewing by hand to be tremendously comforting.  Why?  I think it has something to do with the fact that I approach it in a very freeform, almost joyful way.  I do not think about mistakes and I do not think about being perfect with every stitch.  I DO think about how empowered I feel by not being constrained by a sewing machine - that I can build clothing with the simple act of needle, thread and stitch is a revelation.  I savor each stitch and I feel peaceful as I sew.

Lately I've been working on several garments I've made with upcycled fabrics - mostly t-shirts.  So far I've made an adult-sized skirt and an adult-sized poncho, as well as two child's skater's skirts for my daughter.  I've used a combination of sources for the patterns - library books, pre-existing paper patterns, online resources - but always modifying things as I go.

Whipstitch on Tie Dye

Garment sewing by hand has been a meaningful, calming avocation during these long, slow days in confinement with my family.  I'll post more as I go along..it looks as if we are in for a long period of seclusion.

Stay home and stay safe, everyone! 

No comments: