Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Sashiko Visible Mending Class

I enjoyed taking a recent visible mending class through View Art Center in Old Forge, New York with instructor Niki English.  I've always wanted to learn more about sashiko stitching techniques and I've taken many books out of the library about the topic, but never quite got around to figuring out how to do it.

After three sessions, I conquered the basics, but there is so much more to learn!  I decided to apply a large patch to an old pair of my jeans, using one of the simplest Myozashi Patterns, the Triangle (Uroko).

Uroko (Triangle) Pattern Mend
Uroko Mend

I chose a very busy fabric for this patch, so it doesn't highlight the off-white stitching as much as I'd like.  Next time I'll try different fabric to get a bolder look. 

My next sashiko mend pattern to try will be one of the Hitomezashi Patterns.  I love the way the Ten Cross Stitch looks (Jujizashi) and I hope to tackle that one soon.
Thanks for taking a look!

No comments: