Sunday, May 31, 2020

Surface Design, Rhode Island School of Design

I've been taking a Surface Design course at Rhode Island School of Design for the past almost six weeks.  It's been a great experience!  All online, but with live interaction with the instructor and fellow students, I've found it to be an enriching way to learn new skills during these quasi-quarantined days.


I'm learning about digital tools in which I take my original artwork and put it into repeating patterns.   Areas covered so far include how to change colorways and how to alter the scale of motifs.  It's very exciting but also very challenging;  prior to this class I had zero experience with any kind of digitally-produced designs.  

Here is an example of the process:
 

Hand-Sketched Leaf and Dot Motifs
Leaf and Dot Motifs, Painted with Acrylics


Digitally-Rendered Leaf and Dot Repeat

 

Thanks for taking a look, check back soon for more!

No comments: