Saturday, February 6, 2021

Virtual Sewing Circle and Indigenous North American Art

I'm so proud to be adding my voice to yet another creative collaboration, this one through Yale University Art Gallery and Denver Museum of Art.  This past Sunday, I met virtually with over 100 people, and we embroidered messages in conjunction with artists Marie Watt (Seneca) and Cannupa Hanska Luger (Manda, Hidasta, Arikara, Lakota) for their new work Each/Other.    

The idea is that each person embroiders a message that responds to these questions - What would the world look like if, as humans, we thought of ourselves as companion species?  Can acts of creative collaboration help heal broken bond with the environment and with each other?  Messages are embroidered onto bandanas and/or 22" square fabric, and these pieces are then combined to create a soft sculpture. 

The sculpture will be installed as part of the exhibition Each/Other, with artworks by both Cannupa and Marie, at Denver Museum of Art, seen here (click) - Each/Other at Denver Art Museum.  This exhibit is a compliment to the one currently at Yale Art Gallery, Place, Nations, Generations, Beings:  200 Years of Indigenous North American Art.  Unfortunately, the exhibit has been closed due to COVID-19, and also unfortunately, I did not have a chance to see it before it closed.  You can read more about here - Indigenous Art - Yale University Art Gallery.

Here is mine: 

Protect Mother Earth by Marsha Borden

Detail, Protect Mother Earth by Marsha Borden
 

I hope you enjoyed reading about what's been going on for me artistically and I look forward to hearing from you on my website at www.marshaborden.com or right here on my blog at www.marshamakes.blogspot.com. 

No comments: