Friday, April 22, 2016

No Batteries Required - And Other Reasons to Teach a Child to Knit.

Hello All,

Today I'm thinking about teaching kids how to knit.  For those who subscribe, or have access to magazines at their local library, the newest edition of PieceWork has a wonderful article titled, No Batteries Required - And Other Reasons to Teach a Child to Knit.  It was written by Mary Polityka.

In the article, the author cites a rhyme that Waldorf Schools teach for the knit stitch.  The rhyme in the following image is slightly different, but still the same idea:

 
I am teaching my own daughter how to knit, something she has wanted to learn for years. I suppose it is hard for those in my household not to want to take up some sort of handiwork, since everyone sees me with some sort of craft in my hands all the time!

Until next time,

Marsha

P.S. I highly recommend PieceWork magazine.  Most libraries circulate back issues, so you don't have to get a subscription.  It always has great historical articles about knitting, tatting, lace, embroidery, and other handwork, as well as patterns and great photographs of old pieces. 

No comments: